B Tech (Bachelor of Technology)
B Tech is an undergraduate level engineering program. The students who complete their 12th with Science stream and studied physics, Chemistry, Maths as compulsory subjects, in other words, non-medical students after completing their 12th can take admission in B.tech.
There is also a lateral entry scheme to B.Tech program that is offered to students holding a Diploma degree in engineering domains. Students who have joined Diploma programs after Class 10 or Class 12 in the technical field can seek admission to B.Tech programs offered by engineering colleges in India.
The duration of this course is four years. The term B.E.(Bachelor of Engineering) is also used for this course.
Admission to B Tech
B. Tech is a very popular course in India. There is a very tough competition to take admission in Top Engineering colleges. Students get admission in B Tech on the basis of their merit in national level/state-level/institute-level Engineering Entrance Exams. JEE Main, JEE Advanced, BITSAT and VITEEE are some popular Engineering Entrance Exams in India. The exam is prepared on the base of the class 12th syllabus.
Top Engineering Entrance Exams
- JEE Main: JEE Main is the national level Entrance Exams for engineering students. Students give this exam to take admission in IITs, NITs and other top engineering colleges. This is also the eligibility test for JEE Advanced which is compulsory to take admission in IITs, NITs.
- JEE Advanced: This is the second stage for the students who want to take admission in Top Technology and Engineering institutes like IITs, NITs. Top 2,50,000 students from JEE Main are eligible to give JEE Advanced exam.
- UPSEE: Conducted by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University, UPSEE is a state-level engineering entrance exam for students of Uttar Pradesh.
- BITSAT: BITSAT is an institute level engineering entrance exam which is conducted by the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani.
- VITEEE: It is Conducted by the Vellore Institute of Technology. The VITEEE is another institute level engineering entrance exam that enables students to seek admission to B.Tech programmes offered at VIT, Vellore and VIT Chennai.
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Biotechnology Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Automation and Robotics
- Petroleum Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Ceramic Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Construction Engineering
- Power Engineering
- Robotics Engineering
- Textile Engineering
- Smart Manufacturing & Automation
Students can go for further study after B.Tech. They can opt for M.Tech, MBA, etc. They can go for a job after B.tech. If they opt for a job they can acquire a job in various private companies or Government sectors. If they decide for a Government job. Then they can get a job in Public Sector Undertaking after getting eligible in Gate( Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering). They can get a job in Defence, PWD, Railways on the base of their scores in the Engineering Services Exam(ESE). There are various reputed companies who hire B.Tech students and pay well to them