Marine engineering is a field that deals with the engineering side of the maritime industry. Like any conventional engineering course, marine engineering is also a four-year course. It prepares an individual to become an engineer on ships. This is the qualification that is needed for a career in the merchant navy.
Marine engineering is all about machinery on ships, boats, yachts, or any seagoing vessels. The curriculum of the course focuses on teaching the specialized knowledge of both theoretical and practical marine and mechanical engineering. Greater importance is given to impart skills and competencies that are required to operate and maintain machinery onboard ships.
Candidate must pass 12th or equivalent examination with PCM. In other words, He must study Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and English in 12th class. And he must get at least 6o% marks.
The candidate gets admission in second year if he has passed 1st year of any other alternate shipping Training course approved by D.G. Shipping or any Engineering degree like Mechanical or Electrical approved by AICTE with minimum 60% average marks. or he has passed 3 years Diploma Course in Mechanical / Marine / Electrical / Electrical and Electronics from the colleges approved by AICTE or State Board of Technical Education with a minimum of 55%.
Candidate’s age must be less than 25 years
Candidate must be medically fit as per the standards set by Merchant Shipping Medical Examination Rules, and eyesight 6/6 in each eye without visual aids.
Each college has its own criteria to give admission to the this Engineering course. Some colleges conduct their own entrance tests, which are as follows.
IMU CET stands for the Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test. Indian Maritime University conduct this exam to offer admission to the suitable candidates.
KL Marine Engineering Entrance Exam is conducted to give admission to 4 years’s Bachelor program.
Marine Engineering and Research Institute Entrance Exam
Some Institutes give admission on the behalf of score obtained in the following exams.
- JEE Advanced
Many colleges offer a Marine Engineering course in India. Every college has its own eligibility criteria, admission process, and fee structure.
Admission to Marie Engineering course is based on merit-list or entrance exam. And sometime it is followed by the personal interview. Most of the colleges select students based on the marks obtained in their 10+2 examination or equivalent. Some reputed colleges conduct entrance exam along with the personal interview. Based on the student’s performance in an entrance exam and the personal interview, reputed colleges/institutes will select them to join this course.
List of Colleges offering Marine Engineering in India
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Kolkata.
- International Maritime Academy (IMA) Chennai
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Mumbai
- Mangalore University.
- Indian Maritime University (IMU) Chennai
- Vels Academy of Maritime Studies Chennai
- Tolani Maritime Institute (TMI) Mumbai
- Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education & Training (MANET) Pune.
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Chennai.
- International Maritime Institute (IMI) Noida
- Institute of Technology & Marine Engineering (ITME) Kolkata
- Coimbatore Marine College (CMC)
- Academy of Maritime Education & Training (AMET University)
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies Mumbai
Different Courses in Marine Engineering
- Diploma in Marine Engineering
- Bachelor in Marine Engineering
- Post-graduation in Marine Engineering
Job Options and Salary
After completing this course, students can get jobs in various private and public areas. They can work in various sectors like shipping, ship manufacturing, steel industry, power sector, the manufacturing sectors. Most of the reputed institutes give placement to their students during their courses. But if the student can’t get placement then also no need to worry. One can find a job easily after completing this course.
There are several salary ranges according to rank. The given salaries are paid monthly.
- Fifth Engineer or Engineering Cadet: Rs 35 to 75 thousand INR per month, or 300 to 1200 USD per month
- Fourth Engineer: Rs 1.5 to 2.25 lacs INR, or 2000 to 4000 USD per month
- Third Engineer: Rs 2.75- 3.5 lacs INR, or 4000 to 5900 USD per month
- Second Engineer: Rs 4 to 5 lacs INR, or 7500 to 9500 USD per month
- Chief Engineer: Rs 5 lacs and above INR per month; or 10,000 USD and above per month
Other option to become Marine Engineer
The students who have completed their B.Tech can also join Marine Engineering after doing 12 months course in an approved institute. There are many institutes offering this course, like MERI Mumbai, Meri Kolkatta, IMS Goa, etc.
Minimum Academic Qualification
B.E./B-TECH in Mechanical Engineering/Naval Architecture.
Maximum age limit