The National Defence Academy is the joint services academy of the Indian Armed Forces, where cadets of the three services, the Army, the Navy, and the Air Force train together before they go on to respective service academy for further pre-commission training. The NDA is located in Khadakwasla, Pune, Maharashtra.
If a candidate who has the spirit to serve his motherland with dedication and wants to join Indian Defense services can go for NDA. The student who has successfully completed his 12th can apply for NDA. To join NDA, the student has to clear NDA Entrance Exam which is conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). The exam is held twice in a year which is NDA-I and NDA-II. The shortlisted candidates from the written exam are called for the interview. The students have to go through Physical tests, Psychological tests, group tasks, etc.
About Training Program
After this selection process, the candidate has to complete three-year training. In this training, the candidate practices different activities to make him mentally and physically fit. In this training, Cadets have a choice of two streams of study. The Science stream offers studies in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer Science. The Humanities stream offers studies in History, Economics, Political Science, Geography and Languages. After completing this three-year training program, candidates will get a bachelor’s degree from Jawahar Lal Nehru University.
And cadets will be sent to their respected training Academy for further one-year training. Army cadets go to Indian Military Academy (IMA) at Dehradun, air force cadets to Air Force Academy (AFA) at Dundigal, Hyderabad, and naval cadets to INA, Kerala. On completion of one-year additional training, you would be commissioned as an officer. You would be a Lieutenant in Army, Sub-Lieutenant in Navy, or Flying Officer in the Air force. At the current rates, your gross salary at this stage would be near about 68000.
NDA is a highly paid job in India after the 12th. The candidate will get a stipend of 21000/- even during training.
Eligibility for NDA Entrance Exam
- The candidate’s age must be between 16.5 to 19 years.
- For Army: Candidate must complete their 12th with any stream.
- Navy: Candidate must complete their 12th in Science Stream with Physics, Chemistry, Maths.
- Air Force: Candidate must complete their 12th in Science Stream with Physics, Chemistry, Maths.
- Only unmarried male candidates can apply for the exam.
- Candidate must fulfill the physical criteria prescribed by NDA.
Syllabus of NDA Entrance Exam
Entrance Exam consists of two papers. Paper 1 is of Mathematics and two is of General Ability.
Paper 1: Mathematics
It includes the following topics
Algebra, Matrices and Determinants, Trigonometry, Analytical Geometry of two and three dimensions, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, and Differential Equations, Vector Algebra, Statistics and Probability
Paper 2: General Ability
It is divided into two parts.
- Part 1: English includes the following topics
Grammar usage, Use of sentences, comprehension, etc.
- Part 2: General Knowledge includes questions from the following areas.
Physics, Chemistry, General Science, Social Studies, History, Geography and Current Affairs and Events.
- The exam held twice a year.
- And the first test is conducted between March-April.
- The second test is conducted in between August-September.
- Latest Dates for NDA Entrance Exam
- 6 September 2020
- To know more about NDA, go to their official website.
Suggested Study Material
- Quantitative Aptitude for competitive examinations – RS Aggarwal
- NDA Entrance Exam – ES Ramasamy
- General Knowledge – Arihant
- Mathematics for NDA/NA- National Defence Academy and Naval Academy – RS Aggarwal
- Study Package Mathematics NDA/NA Entrance Exam – Arihant