B.Sc Optometry is three-year undergraduate program. In some colleges it is 4 year program which includes 1 year of internship. First of all, we should know, what is Optometry? Optometry is a healthcare profession that focuses on eye care, vision and visual system. An optometrist is a healthcare professional who is capable of diagnosing and treating eye diseases, prescribing vision correcting lenses and spectacles and measuring eye sights.
Students who want to take admission in this course must complete their 12th. They must study Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English in their 12th. These students must score at least 60% marks in Higher Secondary.
- Candidate must pass 12th from recognized board or equivalent.
- They must score at least 60% marks in their 12th Board. It can be different in different colleges.
- Student must study physics, Chemistry, Biology and English. In other words students who complete their Higher Secondary with Science Stream (PCB) can apply for this course.
- Students have to clear Entrance exam to get admitted in B.Sc Optometry. As it is required in some colleges.
Here are some of the major entrance tests conducted in the country for admission to B.Sc. Optometry course.
- AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) Entrance Test
- JNU (Jawaharlal Nehru University) Combined Entrance Examination
- DU (University of Delhi) Biotechnology Entrance Examination
- CMC (Christian Medical College) Entrance Examination
- NEET-UG (National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test for Under Graduate)
- All India Institute of Medical Science(AIIMS), Delhi
- Indra Gandhi Institute of Medical Science, Patna
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Goa Medical College , Panji
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education And Research – [Jipmer], Pondicherry
- Pt Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute Of Medical Sciences – [Pgims], Rohtak
Fees could be INR 10,000 to 2,00,000 per annum. It can be vary from college to college.
After completing their B.Sc Optometry, candidates can start their own clinic. Or they can go for teaching field, if they interested. They can apply to other successful clinics who are working in this field. They can open their own optical shop.
There are various job roles available for which the candidate can opt for.
- Eye Doctor
- Sales Executives
Salary ranges between INR 2 to 8 lakhs per annum in India